Science-- there's something for everyone

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Dishwashing doesn’t kill norovirus



The leading cause of food borne illness is not Escherichia coli or Salmonella. No, that honor goes to the norovirus, a group of viruses named for the Norwalk virus. Transmission of noroviruses can be via direct contact or contaminated food or water. In general though, if you got sick with a norovirus, you probably ate someone’s poo.

Most restaurants do their best to make sure their food is safe. They use techniques known to kill bacteria such as E. coli. But how well do these food safety practices work against a virus like the norovirus? To test this, researchers led by Lizanel Feliciano from the Ohio State University allowed cream cheese contaminated with either E. coli or norovirus stock to harden onto ceramic plates and stainless steel forks. Contaminated milk was left to dry in drinking glasses. The tableware was then washed with detergent and sanitized with either chlorine-bleach or quaternary ammonium compounds. Titers of bacteria or virus were taken both before and after air-drying and washing.

Not surprisingly, the bacteria and viruses did fine on the air-dried surfaces prior to cleaning. If a surface has been contaminated, the bugs on it can survive for an extended period of time, up to a month in the case of norovirus. Bacteria are more sensitive but can still last quite some time.

Washing the tableware dropped the bacterial load significantly. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case for norovirus. There was a reduction in the viral titer after washing, but not nearly enough to prevent disease transmission. This was true for both mechanical and manual dishwashing methods, though mechanical washing was slightly better at killing bacteria. Interestingly, sanitization did not improve the outcomes for either bacteria or virus. The greatest drop in microbe levels was achieved solely by washing, subsequent sanitization was no better than spraying with tap water.

I should point out that it only takes a handful of norovirus particles to cause an infection. In other words, you have to eliminate all trace of the virus from tableware to ensure food safety. Standard washing methods simply can’t achieve this goal, though vigilance on the part of restaurant management to ensure that sick people stay out of the kitchen may do so. Bon appétit.


Lizanel Feliciano, Jianrong Li, Jaesung Lee, & Melvin A. Pascall (2012). Efficacies of Sodium Hypochlorite and Quaternary Ammonium Sanitizers for Reduction of Norovirus and Selected Bacteria during Ware-Washing Operations PloS ONE : doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0050273.



2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate  DR AKHIGBE,my name is LAURIE HUGHES . I will never stop testifying DR AKHIGBE , Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HIV virus again. DR AKHIGBE did it for me I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day,  I saw a testimony on how DR AKHIGBE helped someone in curing his HIV disease in internet quickly I copied his email which is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days, after using the herbal cure and i did, behold I was free from the deadly disease,till now no HIV in me again he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now,all the testimony of DR AKHIGBE is true  please BROTHER and SISTER, MOTHER and FATHER he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or you can whats App his mobile number on +2349010754824  He can also cure these diseases like HIV and AIDS, DENGUE FEVER. HERPES,DIABETICS,CANCER, HEPATITIS A&B,CHRONIC DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESURE,  ASTHMA, HEART DISEASES, EXTERNAL INFECTION, EPILEPSY, STROKE, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, NAUSEA,VOMITING OR DIARRHEA LUPUS,ECZEMA,BACK PAIN,JOINT PAIN, ERYSIPELAS, MALARIA,  BACTERIA DIARRHEA, JAPANISE B ENCEPHALITIES, RABIE, BREAST INFECTION.  ETC .please email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or whats APP him  ..+2349010754824  he is a real good and honest man.  website...  https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. God bless Dr Oseremen for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HIV. and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HIV out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HIV i saw a comment about Dr Oseremen how he cured HIV with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i was cured from HIV, Dr Oseremen truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through what's app +2349056394313 and you can also contact me to know more about him on my email Dr.oseremenvadi@gmail.com DOCTOR Oseremen CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    1} cancer
    2} diabetes
    3} hepatitis
    4} fibroid
    5} HIV virus
    6} pregnancy herbal medicine
    7} ex back spell casting

    ReplyDelete